Thursday 4 November 2010

Exhibition: Edi Rogers

Edi Rogers is at SHOP until 13th November with his solo exhibition. Here's a little more about his work:

Edi Rogers
Solo Exhibition
_________________________________________________________________

Over the past five years my practice has become increasingly varied and now span’s a number of very different processes including Painting, Sculpture and Live Performance. As an artist I have never felt settled in one medium and I therefore move around these different moods of production in cycles while continually trying to push my concepts forward.

After finishing my degree in the summer of 2009 I moved home to Bristol where I have since been concentrating my efforts on painting. The works being shown here are inspired by my love of movement, light, gesture and geometrics.

I always remember seeing a picture of an old man standing in an odd position holding a candle that’s light had been almost dragged over the frame. I would later go on to realise that this was Pablo Picasso and not only find out how he created this image but use the same technique to capture images of my own.

The energetic lines and patterns on the surface of the canvas are long-term exposure photographic images of myself moving around in darkened spaces with different forms of light emitting devises such as LED’s, laser’s or fire. This section of my practice is extremely relaxing yet expressive which has been compared to forms of dance and even yoga are martial arts.

Once the photographs have been transported onto the computer I can then edit them in programmes like Photoshop and then project them via a digital projector onto the canvases where they are painted by hand. I feel it is necessary to paint the images as the process allows mistakes and glitches to happen and further push my love of gesture forward.

The geometric canvas works where constructed during my three-week residency at Broadwalk Arts Gallery Space in Knowle during August 2010.

Website: www.edirogers.co.uk
E-mail Address: edi@edirogers.co.uk
Mobile Phone: 07738561087








No comments:

Post a Comment